Wednesday, February 27, 2008

VOCABULARY BASICS

Zina linu ndimwe njani? = What is your name?.

Zina lane ndine = My name is.

Chatowa kuwonana namwe. = Nice to meet you.

Chonde = Please (when used, connotes begging).

Ndimwe wakupokeleka = You’re welcome.

Palije suzgo = No problem.

Enya. = Yes. Yayi. = No.

Phepani = Excuse me. (getting attention).

Phepani = Excuse me. (begging pardon).

Phepani = I’m sorry (also means sorry as with empathy).

Novwire = Help.

Leka = Stop.

Labisga = Look out.

Nkhupulika yayi. = I don’t understand.

Chimbuzi chili nkhuni? (toilet = “chimbuzi”) = Where is the toilet? Ni leke/

Ni lekani (many) = Leave me alone.

Leka kunikola/Khwasya(Kunikhwasya yayi - Don’t touch me) = Don’t touch me.

Namu chema Kapokola(…)= I’ll call the police.

Police = Kapokola.

Leka icho = Stop that.

Nkhukhumba kuti muniwovwirie = I need your help.

Ncha luwilo = It’s an emergency.

Na sowa = I’m lost.

Na soywa chola chane, nataya chikwama chane = I lost my bag.

Na sovya chikwama chane, Nataya chikwama chane = I lost my wallet.

Nalwala = I’m sick.

Naji pwetekeka = I’ve been injured.

Nkukhumbika docotala/ng’anga = I need a doctor.

Ningayimba fone yinu = Can I use your phone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does anyone knows what the frase "Mukumuzilu kukufuma mafira" means in English?

Unknown said...

This is really a great post. This vocabulary is very useful for us. I just want to learn this language. I recently learn Spanish language.
Spanish school Costa Rica